Who Should Attend?
- Participants should include HIV service providers who incorporate some elements of intensive, individualized HIV prevention and risk reduction counseling services into their work.
T-TAP Training Prerequisites:
- HIV 101 (or its equivalent) is a prerequisite for this course.
This two-day training will help participants learn the fundamentals of motivational interviewing (MI), explore techniques for integrating MI into HIV/AIDS prevention and treatment approaches, and practice MI with clients through role play and case discussions.
By the end of the training, participants will be able to:
- Appreciate the usefulness of using MI in reducing risk;
- Demonstrate the core skills used in MI;
- Discuss common traps that promote client disengagement and how to promote client engagement;
- Demonstrate the ability to identify change talk; and
- Demonstrate the ability to stage a client and strategically apply MI techniques.